David Brodie wrote:
> On 23/08/13 02:56, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I am trying to update lvm2 and am running into a bit of trouble with the
>> tests.  The configure and make complete with out issue.  I did a make
>> install to a DESTDIR and that was OK too.
>>
>> The problem is 'make check'.  If I run as a normal user, all the tests
>> fail with what looks like permission problems.  If I run the tests as
>> root, the first test, normal:api/lvtest.sh just hangs waiting for something.
>>
>> I went back and tried the current version and got the same thing.  The
>> kernel does have RAID/LVM and Device Mapper Support.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>>      -- Bruce
>>

> On 23/08/13 02:56, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>   > I am trying to update lvm2 and am running into a bit of trouble with the
>   > tests.  The configure and make complete with out issue.  I did a make
>   > install to a DESTDIR and that was OK too.
>   >
>   > The problem is 'make check'.  If I run as a normal user, all the tests
>   > fail with what looks like permission problems.  If I run the tests as
>   > root, the first test, normal:api/lvtest.sh just hangs waiting for
> something.
>   >
>   > I went back and tried the current version and got the same thing.  The
>   > kernel does have RAID/LVM and Device Mapper Support.
>
> I've partially succeeded running a 'sudo make check', but the procedure
> hangs on the test, 'shell/lvconvert-raid.sh'
>
> Running the test with verbose output:
>
> PATH=$PATH:/sbin sudo make check T=lvconvert-raid VERBOSE=1
>
> the test hangs on the line:
>
> lvcreate --type raid4 -i 3 -l 3 -n LV1 @PREFIX@vg
>
> after which any subsequent lvm command hangs, until I reboot the system.
>
> This happens for both 2.02.98 and 2.02.100 versions.
>
> (I've also been unable to get lvcreate --type raid4 working outside the
> test)
>
> This is with the default LFS 7.3 kernel: 3.8.1 and 3.8.1 kernel headers,
> with crypt, snapshot, mirror and raid device-mapper targets. The tests
> completely fail with a 3.9.7 kernel, with errors such as "Snapshot
> target support missing from kernel" (lib/activate/dev_manager.c:2243 in
> 2.02.100).
>
> Can you run a simple lvcreate from the command-line? If so, then perhaps
> there is a problem with the loop device setup (losetup from
> utils-linux), which I believe the tests use?
>
> Hope that helps.

Well, I used your input but I still couldn't get the tests to run.  They
keep hanging on me, starting with the very first test.  I tried
instrumenting the tests to see where it was failing, but that was
inconclusive.

What I did do was install lvm2 without the checks.  I then created two
new partitions and was able to run pv{create,remove,display},
vg{create,scan,display}, and lv{create,display,scan,extend).

I was then able to format and mount a logical volume.  All looks fine.

The question is how to handle this in the book.  I can just say that the
package does not come with an operable test suite and let it go, but
that really doesn't feel satisfactory.

How should this be handled?

   -- Bruce

All appeared to work without error.