On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 23:10 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 07:22:50PM +0100, Igor Živković wrote:
> > On 01/08/2014 07:06 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> > >
> > > It is a good package, displays in dircolors, more clear output than
> > > using find?
> > >
> [...]
> > >
> > > Installation, although simple, not so straight forward:
> > >
> > > make && make prefix=/usr MANDIR=/usr/share/man/man1 install
> > >
> > > Simple to add the page.
> > >
> > > Opinions, please?
> >
> > Sure, I install it in LFS before eudev as it uses tree for one of the
> > tests. BTW, you don't need the prefix switch as /usr is the default.
> >
>  Thanks for the pointer.  I'd forgotten about installing tree in clfs
> to get udev tests to work in the distant past, partly because Matt
> insisted that it wasn't needed for LFS.

Me? Insist? Really? Doesn't sound like me...I'm far too
weakly-opinionated!  I do remember udev using tree(1) for its tests, but
can't remember my rationale for excluding it.  A quick google hints at
this being around the 2005 timeframe [0], but I can't find any
incriminating evidence pointing the finger directly at me for not
putting tree in the book.

I've only just realised now though that not only do we not run the tests
in LFS (which is why this has probably been unnoticed until now, at
least by me), but we don't even mention why this package isn't tested.

Cheers,

Matt.