> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:26:19 +0100
> From: Pierre Labastie <pierre.labas...@neuf.fr>
> To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: [blfs-dev] discussion about sendmail
>
> Hi,
>
> Recently, sendmail has been archived, (see ticket #4723). There has not
> been a real discussion about that. The reason is that the current
> building instructions do not lead to a functional package, although
> Armin and Igor have tried to do so. Furthermore, there are alternatives
> (exim4 and postfix), which are deemed better than sendmail anyway. OTOH,
> I suppose that folks monitoring this list not all follow BLFS trac, and
> it may be interesting to hear what they have to say. That is the purpose
> of this thread.

Yes, I was about to post here on that.

Wouldn't normally such a discussion take place on -dev and only after that
would any -book actions happen - per the notes:
----
Ref: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/mail.html
--
"blfs-book
    The blfs-book list is used for coordinating the BLFS Book's

The trac item is:

        http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/4723

That's a _very_ summary-'removal' of sendmail; and doesn't reflect well
on b/lfs.

"Since its build system requires IQ over 9000 to understand, I won't
bother to try to fix it." (ibid). There are plenty of distros that build
and use sendmail perfectly well. Very often b/lfs will avail itself of
such instructions from other distros, for all sorts of packages, and to
a very wide range of degrees of complexity. Yet in this case the package
is dropped like a hot potato(/coal).

What was (really) going on there, in that trac ticket?

Also, the tone of "The current situation is terrible and is not copy/paste
friendly at all. See Xorg, Qt, KDE instructions for more information." (re
libreoffice: ref  'http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/4725'),
together with the above sendmail stuff, sounds more like someone is in a
rather irascible mood?

rgds,
akhiezer