On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 09:49:33PM +0000, akhiezer wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 20:18:34 +0000
> > From: Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>
> > To: blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org
> > Subject: [blfs-dev] Policy on locale for building ? (ticket #4745)
> >
>       .
>       .
> >
> >  If I configure gegl in my normal UTF-8 locale, there is no problem
> > even with ruby already installed.  But if I pass LC_ALL=C to
> > configure, I get the reported problem during 'make' :
> >
> > ../tools/create-reference.rb:331:in `block (2 levels) in <main>':
> > invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII (ArgumentError)
>       .
>       .
> >

> Hmmm. Does it _really_ require utf8 or similar to build? Seems like a poor
> idea to _require_ it.

 Seems to - the workaround in the ticket is to add
Encoding.default_external = Encoding::UTF_8
Encoding.default_internal = Encoding::UTF_8
 to one of the .rb files.

 Of course, if you don't install ruby before gegl, the problem
doesn't arise.

 Taking a quick look at fedora,
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/gegl.git/plain/gegl.spec
they have:
# Needed by Ruby 1.9.3.
export LANG=en_US.utf8

 note the lowercase, presumably both .utf8 and .UTF-8 will work in
this case.

> Root (at least) here is always still non-utf8  .

 The book (at least in most cases) builds as a normal user.  You and
I can choose to build as root if we wish, but we get to keep both
pieces if it breaks. ;-)

ĸen