        .

> > Root (at least) here is always still non-utf8  .
> >

>  The book (at least in most cases) builds as a normal user.  You and
> I can choose to build as root if we wish, but we get to keep both
> pieces if it breaks. ;-)

 - sorry, I thought from yr orig remark (not quot above) that you meant,
 that everyone should by now have/use utf8 in everyday use (& not just for
 b/lfs builds): hence my remark (intending to say) that we avoid utf8 &c
 for root/priv in everyday use.

(And normally only use root in software builds at the required steps).

rgds,
akh