On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 12:49:12AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 04:05:15PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > >
> > >   Do you perhaps have any LESSCHARSET or similar variables set ?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > LESS=-MX
> > LESSCHARSET=latin1
> >
>  I would try without LESSCHARSET.  It ought to be able to determine
> it from the LANG/LC_CTYPE environment variables, or else from
> calling setlocale.
>
> > What about just adding the LC_ALL variable unconditionally?  It
> > shouldn't hurt anything.
> >
> >    -- Bruce
> >
>  Umm, errm. <embarrassed/>.  I'm having issues using a dirty build
> tree after I exported LC_ALL=C to force the breakage.  At the
> moment, everything I try breaks, even after 'make clean'.  In theory,
> exporting LANG ought to do it, with minimal side-effects.  Will play
> around with it some more.
>
> ĸen
 On this machine, I need to unset LC_ALL after exporting
LANG=en_US.UTF-8, otherwise it still breaks with LC_ALL=C.

 This is getting messy - the build will be fine (people who use BLFS
can probably cope with any error messages in English), but it risks
leaving their environment in an unexpected state.  I guess export
MYLC=$LC_ALL ; export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 ; ./configure ... ; make ;
export LC_ALL=$MYLC ; make install.  i.e. just force LC_ALL since it
would otherwise need to be unset.

 If nobody has any cleaner suggestions, I'll give that a whirl
sometime tomorrow (technically, today).

ĸen