BLFS Trac wrote:

> Comment (by ken@…):

>   At the moment I'm still trying to absorb the systemd changes in LFS - my
>   own scripts now build a working LFS with eudev and _current_ LFS
>   bootscripts, and I'm fairly confident that the systemv-on-systemd build
>   will work when I test it.  But I'm not yet confident about what I need to
>   add so that I can successfully convert it to boot systemd (keyboard, font,
>   dhcp), let alone how to convert my own private bootscripts (fix cpufreq,
>   run a smartd check at boot), nor the changes to ensure that the various
>   daemons will be started by systemd (e.g. postfix, nfs   That will probably
>   take me the rest of this month, maybe a bit longer depending how hard it
>   is to convert my own initscripts to work with systemd.  After that I
>   intend to build the parts of BLFS which I use on my normal desktops, so
>   I'll hopefully be able to fix _some_ of the issues.

Moving to -dev for additional discussion.

My objective is to allow users that do not want to consider or even try
systemd to continue to do what they are already doing.

(If you like your current scripts, you can keep your current scripts.
That's an inside political joke, but most Americans will get it.)

I am currently reorganizing and rewriting Chapter 7.  It's not an easy
rewrite because I need to figure out the organization as well as the
content.  I do intend to address things like keyboard, font, etc.  I
wasn't going to address dhcp because we do that in BLFS, but simple dhcp
is built into systemd, so I may say something about that.

Actually, systemd is supposed to honor System V boot scripts, but I
haven't checked that out.

Armin has created some systemd services for daemons and I want to
incorporate those in the BLFS bootscripts.  I've prototyped the Makefile
so that it installs what is needed if the underlying directories are
present.  The changes should be transparent to users that only want sysv
or only want sysd in addition to those who want to try both.

Last night I was trying to figure out how to set the dmesg log level in
systemd.  It turns out that it can be done with sysctl and set:

kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7

where the numbers are console_loglevel, default_message_loglevel,
minimum_console_loglevel, and default_console_loglevel.  The only number
we really are concerned with is the first.

This can be done in either sysd or sysv, but it's not as simple as
setting LOGLEVEL=4 and then use dmesg -n $LOGLEVEL in a script which is
how we do it now.

In any case, I'll be asking for help in reviewing the changes as they
are made.  I think I may be able to do an initial commit of a new
Chapter 7 in a couple of days.