Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 08:02:58PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>>>    Thanks for the pointer (I have not built systemd at the moment,
>>> still trying to sort out enough details for me to have a chance of
>>> getting the whole thing working).  But your use of sysctl looks
>>> unnecessarily long-winded : why not just something like this ? :
>>>
>>>    sed -i 's/#LogLevel=info/LogLevel=warning/' \
>>>     /etc/systemd/system.conf
>>
>> I'm a bit confused.  Are you referring to what's in the -dev book right
>> now?  Or the part about sysctl that I abandoned as possible but too complex?
>
>   The latter - when you first mentioned it, it was the main thing
> that I noticed for setting the log level.  The change to permit
> systemd was large, and mostly went in as a single commit (compare
> good uses of git, where there are a series of patches, hopefully
> each small enough to review).  You have spent a few weeks on
> sysv-with-systemd, and got it to your liking.  The rest of us have a
> steep learing curve, and many areas where we need to find out how to
> change things.
>
>   For me, log level is a fairly minor thing, but with a _lot_ of
> scope to make the system awkward to use _when_ other things are not
> correct.
>
>   I think examples are always useful, and had read your posting about
> sysctl as an example.

OK.  There is a learning curve.  I've only gotten slightly familiar with
it.  However I keep picking up things.  A couple of rules to keep in mind:

/etc/systemd entries override /lib/systemd entries.
   Remove /lib/systemd entries with ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/whatever

.network and .link files go in /etc/systemd/network/

Boot scripts are .service configuration files and go in
/lib/systemd/system/
They are enabled or disabled at boot time with
   systemctl enable|disable name.service.
Individual services are brought up or down with
   systemctl start|stop name.service.