On 01/12/2019 06:19 PM, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

On 1/12/19 5:54 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 04:25:04PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
Indeed, the file goo/gtypes.h has been removed from the source tree at the
beginning of December...

Changing to #include "glib/gtypes.h" in
src/extension/internal/pdfinput/pdf-parser.h allows the build to pass. I'll
change the patch.
Thanks for fixing that Pierre.

   -- Bruce
Yes, many thanks.  Yet again, poppler seems to go out of its way to
break users of the old 'unstable' interface.

ĸen

If these codebases weren't so large, and I wasn't so busy with stuff here, I'd offer to help upstream port at this point.

We're spending almost as much time picking up the pieces from poppler as we are updating packages, and it's starting to get really out of hand. I understand that upstream doesn't want them using it, but the problem is that they have been for years. People are reluctant to change, and I understand that - I can be the same way (I still seriously dislike Meson/Ninja/Rust, but I have to accept that decisions were made above my head).

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I understand that the poppler upstream doesn't want anybody using the functionality, but it's too late and there's nothing we can do about it.

How is poppler supposed to get people to stop using things they don't intend to be external? Marking things as deprecated is often ignored.

In this case, inkscape was using an internal poppler header to define glib constructs. The problem is not with poppler, it is with inkscape.

The only other problem package that I know of is libreoffice. I have not built it yet with the new poppler, so we will see if that is a problem. Of course we can always fix libreoffice by removing --with-system-poppler.

Looking at the patch we have for libreoffice, it appears that we are just changing gTrue to true and GBool to bool. Why is that a poppler issue?

  -- Bruce