On Sat, 2019-01-12 at 19:18 -0600, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
> On 01/12/2019 06:19 PM, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

> > > Yes, many thanks.  Yet again, poppler seems to go out of its way to
> > > break users of the old 'unstable' interface.
> > >
> > > ĸen
> >
> > If these codebases weren't so large, and I wasn't so busy with stuff
> > here, I'd offer to help upstream port at this point.
> >
> > We're spending almost as much time picking up the pieces from poppler as
> > we are updating packages, and it's starting to get really out of hand. I
> > understand that upstream doesn't want them using it, but the problem is
> > that they have been for years. People are reluctant to change, and I
> > understand that - I can be the same way (I still seriously dislike
> > Meson/Ninja/Rust, but I have to accept that decisions were made above my
> > head).
> >
> > I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I understand that the poppler
> > upstream doesn't want anybody using the functionality, but it's too late
> > and there's nothing we can do about it.
>
> How is poppler supposed to get people to stop using things they don't
> intend to be external?  Marking things as deprecated is often ignored.
>
> In this case, inkscape was using an internal poppler header to define
> glib constructs.  The problem is not with poppler, it is with inkscape.
>
> The only other problem package that I know of is libreoffice.  I have
> not built it yet with the new poppler, so we will see if that is a
> problem.  Of course we can always fix libreoffice by removing
> --with-system-poppler.
>
> Looking at the patch we have for libreoffice, it appears that we are
> just changing gTrue to true and GBool to bool.  Why is that a poppler issue?
>
>    -- Bruce

I can report that libreoffice does failed, both 6.1.2.1 and 6.1.4.2.

In file included from
/opt/wbBuild/var/sources/libreoffice-6.1.4.2/sdext/source/pdfimport/xpdfwrapper/pdfioutdev_gpl.cxx:20:
/opt/wbBuild/var/sources/libreoffice-6.1.4.2/sdext/source/pdfimport/xpdfwrapper/pdfioutdev_gpl.hxx:35:10:
 fatal error: GfxState.h: No such file or directory
 #include <GfxState.h>
compilation terminated.

I've reverted poppler back to 0.72.0 and will wait for another distro (probably
Arch) to come out with a patch.

Regards,
Wayne.