On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 04:23:15PM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 11:05:02AM +0200, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
> >
> > From my investigations, no... And the whole mountcgroupfs bootscript can be
> > omitted, because elogind takes care of mounting those. OTOH, my
> > investigations
> > are limited to using startx with the default xinit clients...
> >
> > I mentioned this error (with less details) in the "xorg failure" thread. If
> > no
> > CONFIG_CGROUP_XXX is selected, the command for mounting the v1 cgroup fs
> > returns an error, and the command for creating the "unified" dir fails too,
> > because the fs is not mounted. Actually, from man cgroups(7), it is said
> > that:
> > "Note that on many systems, the v1 controllers are automatically mounted
> >  under /sys/fs/cgroup; in particular, systemd(1)  automatically  creates
> >  such mount points."
> > Now, the question is whether elogind does those mounts too. But one thing is
> > sure: without the mountcgroupfs script, whether or not some
> > CONFIG_CGROUP_XXX
> > is defined, Xorg runs.
> >
> > Pierre
>
> Hmm, I thought it was all getting clearer, and that when I could
> find time to rebuild the kernel a few times I would find out how
> many of those are necessary.  But running a DM is not something I've
> done for ages (although I recall that sddm shutdowns were always
> messy because the messages were on a different tty).
>
> I guess I might as well check which options are necessary for the
> mountcgroupfs script.

In fact, I needed fewer tests than I'd expected:

I checked CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER, it is indeed required by
mountcgroupfs.

I looked for CONFIG_FHANDLE, the help says it is in General Setup,
which is sort of true, but it's under Configure standard kernel
features (expert users) so I didn't try doing without it.

For the CGROUP options, I began with Memory Controller
CONFIG_MEMCFG=y and disabled the RDMA and Device controllers.  That
was sufficient.

ĸen
--
One pill makes you larger, And one pill makes you small.
And the ones that mother gives you, Don't do anything at all.