On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 08:40:23AM +0000, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:
> On August 16, 2019 4:36:41 PM CDT, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev
> <blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >I've just completed xorg on a new blfs-9.0 SysV build.  Here are some
> >observations.
> >
> >I used Pierre's build order that he posted some time ago.  I've listed
> >that below with some modifications.  The asterisks indicate that the
> >package was installed, the dash indicates it was skipped.  The indented
> >
> >entries show packages I installed that were not in the jhalfs list.
> >
> >Overall I liked the generated list as it made the order much easier to
> >follow.
> >
> >I ran into a bit of a problem when starting Xorg.  It came up but I had
> >
> >no mouse or keyboard input.  There was also a problem finding
> >Xorg.0.log
> >to see what was happening.  It is in ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log.
> >That is documented in the Testing and Configuration section for
> >systemd.
> >  I will change it so it is reflected in both books now that we are
> >using elogind.
> >
> >I had not started dbus or elogind.  After starting those, the xorg
> >input
> >still did not work.  I then rebooted and the mouse and keyboard worked
> >fine.  I think a logout and login may have been sufficient, but I'm not
> >
> >sure.  I'm not sure how to address this.  It would only be a one-time
> >issue.  Should we recommend a reboot before starting xorg for the first
> >
> >time?  logout/in?
>
> That's usually when I reboot from chroot for the first time. I'm unsure yet
> whether we can rid ourselves of mountcgroupfs and elogind bootscripts. I got
> busy and then off on my little tangent and forgot about it. Pierre said it is
> possible. ISTR, that if PAM was right, and cgroups are already mounted by the
> kernel, then a simple logout should have worked. I'll try to get to a build
> this weekend and reboot before installing elogind and see if this holds true.
> I'm also curious about the location of the log file. Is this true in your
> build after elogind is running?
>

> >I'd like to get some additional opinions about these issues.
> >

> Hope those are at least somewhat useful.

Here's my opinion although, since the last couple of days suggest
that maybe my correct place should be on the 'B Ark' from
golgafrincham, it might be that I'm missing something.

Build order (summarised):

Various things I really want to use as soon as I boot (e.g. network
stuff, certs, openssh, links with graphics), then reboot.

Docbook.

Linux-PAM and rebuild shadow.

Build Xorg and then install fluxbox.  Highlights of my build order:

Build dbus, install the dbus bootscript, build elogind, all just
before xtrans.

Rebuild dbus between libxshmfence and xcb-util, pixman, libdrm.

I think those are the expected places.

After completing the build (xorg server, TTF/OTF fonts, fluxbox,
tcl, tk (so gitk can work), ..., rebuilding links :

Start the dbus bootscript.

startx.

Works perfectly (intel video), and the log is in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.

not required, that matches what Pierre discovered the other week.

Since there seems to be a problem for Bruce: did you build Xorg
before ever booting the new system ? (Apoligies if that is mentioned
upthread).  I'm guessing that building the whole desktop in chroot
before the first boot might be a problem.

Alternatively, the problem might be with non-kms video displays such
as nvidia.

ĸen
--
Adopted by dwarfs, brought up by dwarfs.  To dwarfs I'm a dwarf, sir.
I can do the rite of k'zakra, I know the secrets of h'ragna, I can