On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:09:49AM -0500, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

> On 3/27/20 9:24 AM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
> > Just built cmake 1.17, llvm 10.0? and trying rustc-1.39. Got an error:
> > See attached log (with ~3300 lines cut). Sorry it is a little long, but
> > it really looks like some LLVM header file is missing or API has
> > changed.
> >
> > Has anybody seen this too?
> >
> > Pierre
>

> Yes I have!
>
> It seems that using system LLVM is broken with rustc-1.39. I had to do the
> following to get rustc to build using it's builtin version of LLVM for now
> (I believe it's LLVM9? LLVM-10 has changed a lot of the public API for
> applications that use bindings such as rustc).
>
> - Comment out the [target.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] line
>
> - Comment out the llvm-config= line
>

> If you are on i686 (untested), comment out the i686 portions of that
> statement.
>

> That will unfortunately force rustc to build using it's builtin LLVM though,
> which is less than desirable
>

> - Doug

To my surprise, I've found today that the system where I'm waiting
to test a TL2020-pretest update has enough space to play with
putting llvm in /opt/llvm.  So far, I've merely confirmed that
clang++ doesn't like it (with both llvm-config entries pointing to
"/opt/llvm/bin/llvm-config".

For the *first* step I think we will need to revert to the shipped
llvm (I'm not at all sure about commenting out the target line, I
think that will make it build for all possible targets, and probably
be _much_ bigger).

The failing command specified c++-14, but the errors
look like the sort of scope errors that happen when g++ moves to a
newer default standard.  But since c++-14 is already specified, I
doubt that trying to override that will be useful.

For the *second* step, we need to think abou moving to rustc-1.42.0.
Looking at Fresh Ports (for FreeBSD, I think) if I read them right
they can build all of firefox-esr, firefox-current (74.0) and
thunderbird without changes from their previous builds.  Doesn't
mean that our builds of the 68.6.0 packages will work, but worth
trying.  I assume that librsvg and cbindgen should be a walk in the
park, but again obviously need to be tested.  And for seamonkey
there are the patches for rust-1.40+ (one looked large) and perhaps
the upstream bug at mozilla has been updated.

Tedious.

ĸen
--
When alle is ſayed and all is done, ye must chooſe your faces wisely,
for soon enouff ye will be playing with fyre."