On 12/30/20 3:55 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 03:46:58PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
On 12/30/20 1:18 PM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:

I think you can start gnome without a dm, by putting "exec gnome-
session" in .xinitrc. Now how to only start gnome-shell, I am not sure.

This is what I use:

$ cat .xinitrc
session=${2:-xfce}

dbus="dbus-launch --exit-with-session"
ck="ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session"

case $session in
     fluxbox     ) exec startfluxbox                ;;
     icewm       ) exec icewm-session               ;;
     openbox     ) exec openbox-session             ;;
     sawfish     ) exec sawfish                     ;;
     kde5|plasma ) exec $dbus /opt/kf5/bin/startplasma-x11  ;;
     xfce|xfce4  ) exec $dbus startxfce4            ;;
     lxde        ) exec ck-launch-session startlxde ;;
     lxqt        ) $dbus /opt/lxqt/bin/startlxqt    ;;
     lxqt2       ) exec /opt/lxqt/bin/startlxqt     ;;
     gnome       ) $dbus /usr/bin/gnome-session     ;;

     twm         ) xterm  -g 80x40+0+0   &
                   xclock -g 100x100-0+0 &
                   twm
                   ;;

    # No known session, just say so
     *) echo "Cannot run $1" ;;
esac
----

Some of the entries are obsolete. The default can be changed in line 1.

Thanks.  do you think we should mention this for gnome, or is
everyone who goes to the trouble of building it assuemd to want to
use a desktop manager ?

Well, it is listed under Short Descriptions on the gnome-session, but we could put in a paragraph there about starting from the command line. It did take me a while to figure it out, but that was some time ago.

  -- Bruce