On Sunday 22 May 2005 00:06, Craig Colton wrote:
> On Saturday 21 May 2005 07:55 am, John Gay wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 May 2005 19:31, John Gay wrote:
> > > I'm running LFS-6.0/BLFS-6.0 with KDE-3.2. I've recently added some new
> > > Kprograms to my system, KGuitar and KPlayer. Now KGuitar added it's
> > > entry and icon directly to my Multimedia menu after installation, but
> > > KPlayer didn't. But, if I log in as root and run startx, KPlayer is
> > > there. I've tried adding it using KDE's Menu Edit, but it's still not
> > > there.
> >
> > Well, three re-boots later, and KPlayer has showed up, including the two
> > copies I manually added to the menu?!?
> >
> > Don't know why it shows up now, but I've removed to extra menu entries
> > and everything seems fine now.
> >
> > > Everything else seems fine. Does someone know where these are supposed
> > > to be set?
> >
> > Still don't know where KDE keeps these things, though.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >     John Gay
>
> User added menu items should show up in ~/.local/share/applications.  I

Thanks for the info on where the local items go. Do you know where the
system-wide items end up? I just added NoteEdit to my box, which is something
I can't live without for too long, and am seeing the same symptoms. I guess
it'll show up after a few more re-boots (-;

> don't know why your menu editor didn't work - it had been buggy a few
> versions ago. I'm using 3.4 and it works fine here.

I must have the buggy version. As I said, I'm running KDE-3.2 and I've seen
similar problems before.

> Another option is
> "Settings -> Menu Updating Tool".

For me this only locates non-KDE items, like X Editor, X Bitmap, Lynx, XCam
etc...

On a side-note, we just got word that the people buying our house just got
their mortgage approved. Once we get the cash, I'll be buying a Dual Opteron
to build a bleeding edge system on. I don't fancy building KDE-3.4 on this
500 Mhz PIII (-;

Cheers,

        John Gay