On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 01:34:17PM -0500, Dan McGhee wrote:
> My ISP gave me:
>
> 1. a static IP
> 2. a subnet mask IP
> 3. a gateway IP
> 4. primary DNS server IP
> 5. secondary DNS server IP
> 6. user name
> 7. password

Did they say what that user name and password are needed for?

> The tech support told me that they were "100% static"

That's good to know, isn't it.

> and that DHCP and
> PPPoE would not work.

Forget my last mail then.

> I've just got to find out where the numbers plug
> in in BLFS. I haven't tried the "ping" thing yet.

Check out the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script. It calls a script
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup that reads ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 and calls
'ip ...' a couple of times. Rather complex, but nicely configurable.

In my ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 I have:

ONBOOT=yes
SERVICE=ipv4-static
IP=192.168.17.44
GATEWAY=192.168.17.41
PREFIX=24
BROADCAST=192.168.17.255

The link comes up, when I say '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start' (or
'restart').

Joern