Declan Moriarty wrote:

"Network is unreachable" is something I've seen every time I let my IRQ
be set where yours is :-D. Basically, it means it's throwing stuff at
the network card but not getting anything encouraging back

Did you sort out your IRQ, /etc/hosts, and resolv.conf or dismiss my
suggestions as irrelevant? Did you get my mail?

What IRQ does Mandrake use?

AARRRRGGHH! I forgot about acpi=off. Now I get IRQ=11 just like in Mandrake.

However, I still cannot connect.

Just to make sure, I installed RP-PPPoE and set it up. Couldn't connect. I switched back to the 'ipv4-static' service and started again. The network just does NOT like the line 'GATEWAY=<gatewayaddr>.' When I "comment" this line, the network looks like it starts fine, but I just can't connect. I open firefox and get the warning "blah-blah can't be found. Check the name and try again." Thunderbird reports "Can't connect to server."

Soooo. Back to the route tables. First of all, my ISP gave me the following:

1.  My static IP
2.  Gateway IP
3.  Subnet Mask IP
4. DNS Preferred IP
5.  DNS Alternate IP

I ran 'routel' in both Mandrake and BLFS. There's one glaring difference. In Mandrake there's a route that looks like this:

target gateway source proto scope dev tbl

default 216.139.123.254 eth0

So I tried to add something similar to the BLFS tables by running

route add default gw [Gateway IP]

I got the message: 'SIOCADDRT Network is unreachable.' Doing Google I found an article at this site: http://www.uit.co.uk/practical-tcpip/w-rterr-015.htm

It describes these errors.  For the one that I received, it says:

route add default gw 1.2.3.4

The routeaddr isn't on a directly connected network so this machine would be unable to forward packets to it

That's exactly the format that I used. But I do not understand what to do to make it right. This article gives hints on other errors, but not on this one.

A short summary of my problem. Network wouldn't run because of driver wouldn't load and bad IRQ. I've fixed both of those but now I can't update my route tables--if this is the cause. One problem that persists in all of this is the behaviour of the network with the GATEWAY line in the ipv4 file. I'm wondering if the SIOCADDRT and the network behaviour aren't two symptoms of the same problem. How to fix??

Oh, BTW. When I set up RP-PPPoE and created the /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/pppoe file. The book said to enclose the entries in ". For example, ONBOOT="yes." However, for the corresponding file for ipv4, the LFS book does not include the quotes. Same line from LFS, ONBOOT=yes. Which syntax is correct?

I haven't had the time to individually thank all of you who have been trying to help me. I sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan