Andrew Benton wrote:
> I've done some more testing on this. Building firefox-1.0.4 with the
> attached build script should produce a copy of firefox in /usr/lib and
> make a symbolic link pointing at it from /usr/bin. Running firefox and
> then trying to open a second instance will open the new url in the
> current window. The solution is to replace the /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> script with the attached firefox script. This will open a second
> instance of firefox in a new window (can be changed to a new tab by
> editing line 188). Hope this helps

That's okay.  I've got it so mixed up now I don't know what to think.
In a couple of more rebuilds, I broke or fixed something someplace.
There is something residual someplace but I'll be damned if I can find
it.  Both installed and packaged work correctly with whatever behavior
is set in 'firefox>edit>preferences>advanced>tabbed_browsing'.  I'll
need to start from clean I think because I can't even beg for the
profile manager to return, and I have no idea why.  My script is gone,
and gnome prefered browser is set to '/usr/bin/firefox %s'.

Interesting is that I can't, from a gnome-term, do '/usr/bin/firefox
http://www.google.com' and get the same behavior...it just overwrites
the latest window in all cases (either copy of firefox open), but open a
link (using the right click menu) in the same gnome-term, in the same
command line, and it works as expected, and I have no reason to give.

I've even gone so far as to setup the default browser to point to one,
open a window, and change the gnome setting and try it there..two
instances then both with explicit paths and no symlinks involved.  It
works, change the setting back, it also works in the other window.  So,
I'm creating a new user to test with and ripping out firefox and
thunderbird completely for furthur testing.  I held this message for a
day to try and figure out what I did right (wrong?), but I've
acomplished nothing but furthur confusion...  But hey, what a great
prolem to have under normal circumstances?!?  I don't know what else to
do to break the thing again! :-)

-- DJ Lucas