On Tuesday 20 September 2005 01:07 am, Brandin Creech wrote:
> This is a general question about the move/re-size behaviour of every window
> manager I've seen under Linux. Most of them support "opaque move/re-size"
> in which the contents of the window is updated continuously during a move
> or re-size operation.
>
> But my question is about the non-opaque ("transparent") mode, in which only
> an outline is shown. The problem I have is that in every WM I've seen with
> this mode, the WM seems to freeze all other applications during the move or
> re-size operation. When I let go of the mouse, the applications resume. I'm
> a little annoyed at this behaviour; I would probably prefer the transparent
> mode to the opaque, if it weren't for this situation. I recall that older
> versions of Windows used to do this as well (when using the transparent
> move/re-size on that operating system), but newer versions will allow
> applications to continue running even with transparent move/re-size
> enabled.
>
> I've only come across one vague explanation to this. Something about there
> not being any efficient way to implement the transparent move or the
> outline without pausing other applications. Does anyone here know of a WM
> that can manage this feature without freezing other applications? Or maybe
> there is a patch I can apply to some WM to prevent it from locking the
> other applications?

Do you mean the "Show window contents when moving" or similar setting that
most window managers have? I've never had this setting effect running
programs on a KDE desktop whether switched on or off.

It seems like it would be more ram intensive - and more likely to cause
problems - with this switched *on*.

Maybe you should name a WM and an application where this happens, so someone
else can test it or vouch for the behavior.

Regards,
Craig