David Ciecierski wrote:

> But now... I tried run alsaconf, it replied with "modinfo: could not
> find module snd" and did not detect any sound cards. I then had a look
> under /dev/snd, and found only the following:
>
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  0 2005-09-23 22:03 controlC0
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 24 2005-09-23 22:07 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 16 2005-09-23 22:07 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 17 2005-09-23 22:07 pcmC0D1p
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 18 2005-09-23 22:07 pcmC0D2p
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 27 2005-09-23 22:07 pcmC0D3c
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  1 2005-09-23 22:03 seq
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 33 2005-09-23 22:03 timer
>
> Basically, hw[CD0-9] does not get created for some peculiar reason. As
> for my udev rule set, I've got both the basic LFS core:

A couple of quick questions...maybe...or maybe not.  First, has this
sound card worked before in previous LFS with udev?  If so, lets remove
the 15-alsa.rules file and make certain that is not where the problem
lies, it is a relatively new addition.  If that doesn't correct the
problem, can you manually create the first device node...
mknod -m 660 /dev/snd/hwC0D0 c 116 4 &&
chown root:audio /dev/snd/hwC0D0
...and see if it suddenly decides to work (create the second if you know
which it should be...D2 and 6 I believe)?  See where (if anywhere)
that'll get you.

-- DJ Lucas