David Ciecierski wrote:
What is the problem?

The problem is that no application can use the sound card, and alsactl is the prime example of that (please refer to my original post). The issue started with Totem not launching and complaining it cannot find the requested sound output + supertux exiting upon trying to play an ogg file. So I went 'low-level' and tried speaker-test, getting just aplified noise. I believe it's all related to sound device nodes not being properly created under /dev/snd, as I described previously.
But thanks for asking, I guess it wasn't clear in my original post.

The device nodes you posted before look almost identical to mine and my system
works fine. If Totem and Supertux can't access the audio devices, have you
added yourself to the audio group?