--- Dan McGhee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My overall situation is that I'm installing Window Maker.  There's a gui
> for configuring it once it's installed.  My problem is that the tabs for
> selecting the different functions aren't labeled--they're blank.

I had this problem too. Try running WPrefs from the console and you'll notice
some "file not found" errors being spit out by the program. That's why the
icons are not being displayed. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where it
is looking for the icons, or how to fix it; I've been able to configure
Window Maker without actually seeing the icons (: so unfortunately I haven't
been very motivated to find a fix. If you manage to fix it, please let me
know how you did it.

Anyway, I suspect that this problem is not related to freetype freetype2 xft
xft2 or anything font-related. It's just a file-not-found type thing.