Andrew Benton wrote:

Dan McGhee wrote:

After using tzselect and following the instructions my timezone is 'America/Chicago.' The command says 'cp --remove-destination /usr/share/zoneinfo/$TIMEZONE /etc/localtime' I typed it directly and then noticed--much later--that the results of tzselect were referred to as $TIMEZONE. So should the command I typed have been ' cp --remove-destination /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago /etc/localtime'?

yes, you should have substituted America/Chicago for $TIMEZONE, or set
TIMEZONE='America/Chicago'
then the command will work

Situation 2:

After modifying /etc/rc.d/init.d/setclock, the instructions say to add the symlinks

    # ln -s ../init.d/setclock /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K45setclock &&
    # ln -s ../init.d/setclock /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K45setclock

Each of these symlinks contain 'K45setclock' I can't remember if the K45 refers to a priority or run levels. In rc0.d and rc6.d I already have K45random. Should I change the links to K4?setclock (where ? refers to a number less than or greater than 5)?

If you want. It depends what order you want the scripts to run. If the numbers are the same the scripts are run in alphabetic order, r comes before s so K45random comes before K45setclock
Andy

Dan and Andy--

Thanks. All is running well. Hope that next April I won't have to go through this drill again when we go to CDT. :-)

Dan