On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Declan Moriarty wrote:
Are there any plans to merge any of these separate streams into the
main book? Unicode, particularly, must be the way of the future, like
IPV6 must be the way of the future, however badly they are being handled
now.

I would ask,"Are either of those truly part of the main purpose of LFS?"
From the book,"The goal of Linux From Scratch is to build a complete and
usable foundation-level system." The book already builds the kernel and inetutils. Any advanced implementation of internationalization would necessarily be left until BLFS.

The way of the future may be clear to some people but if that future primarily affects the OS outside of a foundation-level system then it doesn't change LFS. Someone's interpretation of what entails a foundation level system may be different. Some people can't live without a GUI and, for them, X with a full desktop environment is at the foundation level. For an LFS type definition of foundation level I think it's obvious to remain focused on embedded systems. Foundation level is what's necessary to provide the user with the ability to have X and a full desktop environment of their choosing.

I don't know much about the necessities for a Unicode implementation but aside from compiling the necessary kernel components I don't see it changing the main book much.

I have to admit that I didn't read the OP due to the subject line and the bad formatting. :)

That's the way I read it.

Steven