On 5/22/06, Alan Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a question which now seems as good a time as any to pose: in
that, as a non-"desktop" user (Either Fluxbox or XFCE at a push) would
there be any benefit to us minimalists using these automated features?

Unfortunately, there isn't a complete solution at this time that I
know of.  HAL provides the info and methods to do things like
automounting removable drives and suspending the system.  However,
another application needs tell hal to do this.  In gnome, this is
gnome-volume-manager and gnome-power-manager.  I'm not aware of any
daemon on the linux console.

On the other hand, I think there is support for vbetool (which changes
video modes on the framebuffer device), so HAL is usable outside of X.
D-BUS is useful in any environment, though, as long as you have
applications that use the message bus.  This is something that bothers
me about the setup on my system since it seems that if I buy into
HAL/gnome-volume-manager/etc., then I'm prevented from doing some
things at the linux console.  I've been thinking about asking on the
HAL list, but I want to formulate my question correctly.

So, the short answer is probably not right now.  I don't fully
understand how things interact outside of a desktop environment.  FYI,
archaic posted the dependencies for xfce beta, and it's making use of
D-BUS/HAL.

--
Dan