On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 06:10 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> I was a little confused there.  I was thinking that pmount provided
> the full daemon, HAL listener, etc.  Basically, I'm wondering, what
> does g-v-m's job on the text console?  Alexander answered that one.
> Ivman appears to do that job.

Ah, right. No, pmount is simply a workaround for users not having
permission to mount and unmount removable devices. Normally you'd
configure gnome-vfs and g-v-m to use pmount/pumount instead of the
default mount/umount.

Just to make things more complicated, the Redhat/Fedora crowd are
introducing gnome-mount, which does the same thing in a different
manner, providing a stronger framework for enforcing policy on such
things. It's not well received by the Debian crowd though - if I
understand the debate right, their problem is a dependency on the
pam_console module which Redhat use heavily and which Debian consider a
horrible hack.

Simon.