Scott Anderson wrote:
Dear all,

This is my first post to the list.

I have very little idea as to what might be stopping acroread from
functioning properly. Possible theories I have are incompatibility with
nvidia's proprietary drivers, incompability with my LANG and LC_ALL
settings (both en_GB), missing "psres" directory. But I am not really
convinced by any of these, and wondered if anyone else had experienced a
similar problem or better yet, had a solution.

LFS 6.1.1 and elements of BLFS 6.1 installed, using versions of software
specified in these (great) books.

I just wanted to add that I was attempting to help with the problem in the IRC support channel. I was unable to get Acrobat Reader to start as well. Actually, I just now created a /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 symlink to libstdc++.so.6 - Reader will now start. I guess one of the Reader libraries (but not the main acroread binary itself) looks for libstdc++.so.5.

I will probably install xpdf in the meantime, but I would still like to
have Acrobat Reader, if only to show myself that I can do it. :)

Best wishes to all,

Scott.