http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~mikosmul/computing/articles/linux-unicode.html

Hi.

I've read the article above. I think that my locales aren't working well.
First of all, I have this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# locale
LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_ES.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=es_ES.UTF-8

This looks ok. I thought it was working because I could type and see Japanese characters. But there are some things weird. For example, according to the article, wc is a useful tool. In kde, I have this:

bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -c
2
bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -m
1

And it's ok. But in the console,
bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -c
1
bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -m
0

Some thing isn't working here. Notice that the behaviour in console and X is different. Also, in X I type "á" and I see it. In console, I type "á" and I see it when I type the next character. For example, I type: áéíóú
I see: áéíó

I type: áéíóúaeiou
I see:  áéíóúaeiou
But: I see "ae" when I press "e", i.e. after all non-ascii characters have been displayed.
This works well in X.

And more things: in console I can't see well the non-ascii characters in vfat (I mount it with codepage=850 and utf-8). But it looks good in X. The inside, however, is messy in both X and console.
I've tried to recreate my locales with:
localedef -i es_ES -f UTF-8 es_ES.UTF-8
I got no error message, but it seems nothing changed. And I have these modules too:
bash-3.1$ lsmod | grep nls
nls_iso8859_15          4736  1
nls_cp850               4992  1
nls_utf8                2112  0