Hi.

> > Thanks for your explanations. I'll check if things go as you say should
> > go. Only one question: how do you set utf-8 for X and, say, iso-8859-15
> > for console?
>
>  I was going to say that you don't wnat to do that, but on looking a
> bit more deeply I can see that for many common West European
> languages that will work nicely.  The big thing you need to watch
> out for is probably the euro symbol (€) - the iso-8859-15 glyph for
> that is now the funny-looking 'currency symbol' in UTF-8.

Well, my language is Spanish, so I need some non-ascii characters, and the
euro symbol, of course. That's why I need 8859-15 before 8859-1.

>  So, for a desktop system try 8859-15 in your .bash_profile so that
> a login at the console will use it, and UTF-8 everywhere else
> including the LFS sysconfig and /etc/profile.

Ok, I'll try this. I'll also try Dan's suggestion in the next mail. You both
are answering very fast, I can't still try it :)

> > To me, the most important thing here is handling text files with
> > non-ascci   characters in the file and possibly in the name. This means
> > good X configuration, I think.
>
>  Yes - extra TTF fonts as in blfs, fontconfig (local.conf), and
> decent applications that can use fontconfig (e.g. by telling
> browsers to use 'serif' 'sans' 'monospace' - the names in local.conf
> which give a list of fonts to try - instead of specifying e.g.
> 'DejaVu Sans').  That isn't a criticism of DejaVu, it's very good
> for most of Western Europe, but as you stray further afield it
> starts to show its limits.
I don't have problems with this. Or, at least, I don't think my problems are
for this reason. For example, with some settings in fstab, my accented words
in text files just dissapear, or things like ? and squares appear. If I write
new files, I can use accents with no problem. But I'll try more fonts.

>  In your original post, you said you could type and see japanese
> characters - out of interest, how do you type them, and into which
> application(s) ?

Look for and old thread of mine "writing in japanese". You'll basically need
scim and anthy. You could use skim for kde too. For gtk apps, you don't have
to do many things, just scim/anthy/uim would work. But for kde, skim enables
you to enter Japanese (kana and kanji) in any app. You need utf-8 locales for
it, of course (that's why...). It can be a bit tricky to do. If you want to
try, start a new thread, I'll help you if I can.

        Alberto