El Domingo, 12 de Noviembre de 2006 09:15, Dan Nicholson escribió:

> You don't normally need to set LC_ALL. Just LANG is usually enough.
>
> > bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -c
> > 2
> > bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -m
> > 1
> >
> > And it's ok. But in the console,
> > bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -c
> >  1
> >  bash-3.1$ echo -n é | wc -m
> >  0
> >

> Don't use the console in UTF-8. It just doesn't work. Look back
> through the lfs-dev archives for Alexander Patrakov posting about
> patches for the kernel w/ UTF-8. What we have in the book only
> implements part of a solution and was rejected upstream.
>
> If you want to use UTF-8 on the command line, you need a true UTF-8
> capable terminal emulator. This include xterm w/ luit or something
> like gnome-terminal.

Hi.

Thanks for your explanations. I'll check if things go as you say should go.
Only one question: how do you set utf-8 for X and, say, iso-8859-15 for
console?
To me, the most important thing here is handling text files with non-ascci
characters in the file and possibly in the name. This means good X
configuration, I think.

Thanks