On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 18:49 -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> You are sort of on-your-own with 2.16. Hopefully, someone can jump
> in and help out.

Welp, as usual....the SMART people over at #gnome on GIMPnet found the
solution.

It is a DBUS issue.  Since, DBUS is installed to /usr, you have to tell
DBUS about the Gnome services that are installed in /opt/gnome.
Strange, how I saw no documentation about this before, but I guess it's
just something with newer DBUS versions.  So, the steps to fix the above
problem:

vi /etc/dbus-1/session.conf

Right underneath: <servicedir>/usr/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>
I added:

<servicedir>/opt/gnome/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>

...re-launced Gnome and tada!!!

Thanks for the attempt Randy, but it looks like I've found my cure.
-Lup