On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:38:51 -0600, Randy McMurchy <ra...@linuxfromscratch.org>
wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote these words on 02/16/10 01:32 CST:
>> To put it another way, my time is my life.
>
> But you have the time to write 9 paragraphs about why you don't like
> distros and use BLFS! Pot-Kettle-Black. :-)
>
> BTW, you may never again see a released version of BLFS, I'd take the
> wise advise you were given and use the development version of BLFS for
> all that you do concerning BLFS.
>
> And I'm saying this as the lead Editor of the book.

And as a non-contributory member of the editing team ( :-) ) I would
whole-heartedly
agree with this!  I think that BLFS has simply grown far too big to ever be in a
completely stable *and* useful state.  Things move so quickly in the open source
arena that as soon as you freeze something as big as BLFS, by the time it's
stabilised then the kernel, toolchain, etc. have moved on, offering new features
that would be useful for at least one of the BLFS packages.

I think the LFS book is stable enough that folks can use either the latest
release
or the development version of that to build whatever is in BLFS with very few
problems.  I've certainly seen little in the way of breakage for the last few
months and the majority of the package updates in LFS have only involved
the trivial updates to md5sum's and version entitites!

As a side-note, I generally use BLFS as a *guide* now, for build-order
decisions and the like, rather than using the exact instructions .  I'll usually
drop the latest version of the package in place without too much trouble.  I
keep
promising to submit my updates to the book; maybe next time :-)

Mike certainly seems more than competent enough to do the same thing.  Mike, my
recommendation would be to use the BLFS book in a guide-like manner too.  Keep
your build scripts and/or built packages in some kind of version control system
then just build & integrate what works for you.

Regards,

Matt.