>On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:02:56 -0600
>Mike McCarty <mike.mcca...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Andrew Benton wrote:
> > On 16/03/10 03:54, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >> OHCI -- UHCI
> >>
> >> Ok, how does one determine which of these he needs?
> >
> > lspci from pci-utils
> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/pciutils.html
>
> I'm aware of lspci; however, it does not provide all the information
> necessary (at least not to me). For example, on one of my machines:
>
> # lspci | grep USB
> 00:0b.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
> Controller (rev 62)
> 00:0b.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
> Controller (rev 62)
> 00:0b.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 65)
> 00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
> Controller (rev 80)
> 00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
> Controller (rev 80)
> 00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
> Controller (rev 80)
> 00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
>
> Obviously, UHCI is necessary. However, what about the devices simply
> listed as USB 2.0 (rev xx) where xx is either 65 or 82? They are
> seemingly not the same devices as the UHCI USB 1.1, as the USB
> "level" shows. However, the required protocol is not given.
>
> Is one just to "know" by some means that all USB 2.0 conform to
> one or the other of UHCI or OHCI?
>
> Mike

AFAIK, what is knows as USB 2.0 is called EHCI in kernelworld. Judging
by the kernel's menuconfig utility and it's help function, this kernel
component should be paired with one of UHCI (if you have an Intel or
VIA based motherboard) or OHCI (otherwise) for your kernel to have USB 1
capability.

I myself have a MSI motherboard with a nVIDIA chipset. I have enabled
EHCI and OHCI. For what I use my USB ports (flash memory sticks), this
works perfectly (until the flash stick malfunctions - I should have
been more cautios whith purchase).

As you have a VIA based motherboard, you should enable UHCI and EHCI to
get "basic" USB functionality and then maybe enable aditional kernel
options (mouse? keyboard? printer?).

-AKuktin