Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:57:20 +0200
> Rodolfo Perez <r-...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Well I'm not sure if this forum is the right one ...
>>
>> I've build lfs 2 times successfully and now I'm trying to use jhalfs. I
>> did not succeed so far, but before i spend hours and hours I would like
>> to ask the experts some few questions.
>>
>> 1. How do you generally install the new lfs's? Are you using jhalfs?
>
> For what it's worth, I write my own custom scripts based on the
> commands in the book but with my own special ingredients. I'm sure
> jhalfs works as other people on the lists use it, but I don't know if
> it works for BLFS. When I first did lfs I copied and pasted the
> commands into a gnome-terminal. That worked well for LFS but for BLFS
> it was a hard slog typing at the command prompt until I'd compiled
> XFree86 and Firebird. It occurred to me that I could simply copy and
> paste the commands into a shell script and then run that with one
> command. However the problems with that are making sure it stops when
> an error occurs and that it logs everything into a file so that I can
> look back at what went wrong and Google for a solution. Working around
> those and other problems (eg how to automatically generate a new fstab for
> the new system?) became my way of learning to write scripts. It's a
> useful skill.

I use jhalfs for LFS only.  It is somewhat cumbersome to build any
package when the only thing available is a text terminal, however, I
find that is virtually never necessary.  I build a new system via ssh.
The first packages to build after LFS are bc (for openssl tests),
openssl, and openssh.  That can be done in the LFS chroot environment.
At reboot, running ssh to the new system from an xterm or equivalent
allows full use of cut/paste or virtually anything else.

Some other notes.  I have a separate partition for /usr/src where I keep
all sources.  Each package, say mysql, is in a different subdirectory
and has a script that instruments the build procedure and keeps a log of
what was done.

When building a new version of LFS, I make (or reformat) a partition of
10MB.  I mount partitions for /mnt/lfs, /usr/src, /boot, and /home.
That makes things consistent for me across builds.  The only thing that
I need to do for a new build to implement this is to copy /etc/fstab to
the new system and change the entry that specifies the device of the /
partition.

   -- Bruce