On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM, John Burrell <john_burr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:13:46 +0200
>> From: kre...@email.com
>> To: blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org
>> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] more on trying to get the drm nouveau kernel
>> module loaded
>>
>> On 07/17/2012 08:44 PM, John Burrell wrote:
>> >
>> > I installed the latest git versions of libdrm, mesalib and the kernel
>> > modules from the nouveau wiki site.
>> >
>> > I blacklisted the nouveau module so I could boot the machine. KMS is
>> > therefore enabled.
>> >
>> > When I do modprobe nouveau or startx I still get the cycling of the
>> > colored screens.
>> >
>> > startx now gives me a Xorg.0.log which I attach here.
>> >
>> > I wonder if someone (Armin?) could take a look at it and see if there's
>> > anything untoward about it.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > jb.
>> >

>> I don't see anything wrong. In fact, everything looks GREAT. I see you
>> used Ubuntu to build LFS, so tell me does it use nouveau too and does it
>> experience the same problem? I forgot your configuration. Is that a
>> laptop or what?
>
> No, Ubuntu uses a proprietary Nvidia driver.
>
> [    18.291] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> [    18.291]     compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> [    18.291]     Module class: X.Org Server Extension
> [    18.291] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  295.40  Thu Apr  5 21:49:54 PDT 2012
>

> Yes it's a laptop with a GeForce 8700M GT - about 4 or 5 yrs old.
>
> If blacklisting nouveau disables KMS, how do I enable it before loading
> nouveau? I guess I can't.
>
> jb.
>
> --

You need the video drivers to have KMS working, you can't simple use
KMS without nouveau (nvidia boards). Actually, any nvidia proprietary
driver can't run with nouveau.
You need the initrd updated to have the KMS/DRM modules from kernel
since the early stages, and they should be in sync with the build in
the local disk so the initrd can handle to the local disk kernel and
Xorg can take advantage of this infrastructure.

--
Maginot Jr