Armin K. wrote:
> Good morning/afternoon/evening.

> That said, I won't maintain GNOME in the book and if you ask me, you can
> drop it completely. In BLFS we don't tend to force users to do something
> and keeping GNOME would force (some) users to use mesa with llvm for
> llvmpipe in order to use GNOME.
>
> There is 3.6.2 release comming and that would be last revision regarding
> GNOME from me.

I understand where you are coming from.  I gave up on GNOME some time
ago when I was just installing and testing one of the commercial
distros.  I also had an issue with the KDE window manager, but like
their applications.  My solution is to build KDE and XFCE and run the
KDE apps in XFCE.  Works fine.

As far as dropping it from the book, I'm not so sure.  I think we have a
decent snapshot and can leave it alone without either upgrading or
dropping it.  A note at the start would explain our position.

One thing I'd like to point out is that a lot of people really didn't
like KDE4 when it first came out.  It took a couple of years to get it
into reasonable shape.  Perhaps that will happen to GNOME.

   -- Bruce