On Sun, 2012-11-11 at 10:56 +0100, Armin K. wrote:
> I have no problems with it either, but LFS/BLFS people seem to reject
> systemd (for now).

Understandable. I like the concept, but it's not exactly ideal from the
point of view of a project trying to teach people how their system works
- the traditional shell scripts might be kind of messy, but they're much
more transparent. And of course, it's not all that hard (last time I
tried, at least) to convert an LFS system to systemd.

> With every release, GNOME Shell becomes different in some ways. Latest
> 3.6 release has been reworked and now you have to move your mouse on the
> upper right edge of the screen and click on the button to get menus.

For me, that sounds like a good thing, actually. I tend to use the Start
key rather than the mouse to access those menus, and it's a pain in the
ass having the Activities view activate whenever the mouse goes near
that corner of the screen (e.g accessing a window titlebar or menu).

> Another anoying thing is that you can't run most of 2 same apps at the
> same time if you single click on them on, lets say, menu or favourites.
> You have to do right click and select new window.

Yeah, I don't dispute that - a few of the changes are kind of annoying,
and that's one of them. I don't find it too much of a problem, though -
the only app I regularly open multiple instances of is the terminal, and
I have a keyboard shortcut for that. Though it's occasionally a pain
when I use the file manager.

> Yes, panels look like in mobile world as does icons on "menu" or
> whatever that's called - big and taking away whole screen. Exception is
> the categories on right side.

Big and taking away the whole screen? It's just a black bar across the
top of the screen... looks a lot like the one from Gnome 2.

Or do you mean the application launcher? I don't even notice that
much... it's not like I use it for more than a few seconds each day.
Even when I do launch new apps, it's usually with the keyboard - press
start, type a few characters, hit enter - so I'm often not even looking
at the screen as I do it.

That's one thing G3 does brilliantly - it's *very* good for people who
do most of their work with the keyboard. Some people complain about
operations being clumsy with the mouse, but that's not something I'd
notice.

> Yet they seem to "improve" it by ripping apart lot of useful stuff.

Opinion, of course. As far as I'm concerned, it's brilliant - the best
of the open desktops by a large margin. People get upset about the lack
of theming or the absence of some favoured configuration option - I
don't. I have a small number of shell extensions to fix some of the more
annoying faults (e.g no date in the clock, no way to explicitly
hibernate a machine), but overall I'm very happy with Gnome 3...

But I'm aware that others disagree.

> I guess this was actualy talked on GUADEC. No plans are yet made for it.
> And I said "... might become ..."

Sure... it's just that there's an annoying tendency for people to see
one developer posting speculation to his own blog, and treat it as an
official policy statement - five minutes later, it's the lead article on
Phoronix, and everyone is hating Gnome for a change of direction that's
not even real, and repeating it as fact for months later... </rant>

Simon.