On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 00:00 +0100, Armin K. wrote:
> I forgot to mention that it is becoming more and more integrated with
> systemd for user session management, so it is just matter of time where
> systemd will be required.

Yeah, that's true enough. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing
though - they're asking the question "how do we do this now?" rather
than "how would we have done this twenty years ago?" And I don't have a
problem with that - ignoring the lessons of the past is a bad thing, but
so is using them as an excuse to not try anything new.

> Have you ever looked at what GNOME Shell looks like? It looks nearly the
> same as the stuff on smart phones (Android, iOS) or, at least, it
> behaves like it. You can look at youtube or google pictures and see what
> I am talking about.

Um, are we talking about the same Gnome Shell? Because speaking as an
everyday Shell user - no, no it doesn't. There's no resemblance in
behaviour, nor in appearance unless you think the panel being black
counts...

Seriously, I don't get why people think G3 is something weird and alien.
It's not - it's a traditional desktop in almost every way, barring the
use of the Activities pane for launching apps. There's really nothing
all that odd about it.

> Now, we are responsible for PC world, not touch world and GNOME will
> soon have no place in PC world if it continues like this.

Pretty much every major desktop manufacturer is bringing out hardware
with a touch-screen these days, part of supporting Windows 8. Are you
sure there's such a difference between the two?

Besides, Gnome's touch support is actually pretty poor still - all those
conventional drop-down menus are impossible to use with fat fingers. And
the reason it's poor is that despite what so many people claim, it's
*not* designed as a touch interface. It's a regular desktop, running all
the regular desktop apps.

> (Found the GNOME 4 news
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE0ODg)

Eh, Phoronix... not what I'd call the most reliable source... one step
up from an advertising link farm. But still, so we have a couple of
Gnome devs who think that a focus on mobile and touch is a good idea.
That's not exactly official policy announcement, and there's really not
very much discussion on those lines on any of the Gnome mailing lists...

Simon.