> > That's unfortunate.  BLFS is much harder to use now.
> >
>  In what way is it harder ?  The releases were always a little out of
>  date (or very out of date!), and for the development book it has
>  always been best to download a tarball of the book so that it doesn't
>  change under you.  Mostly, changing under you has only broken parts
>  of gnome if you picked a bad time to read the book, but YMMV.

I'm more interested in using my system than in building it.  I make
tools when I need to use them.  I use them as long as I can, until I'm
forced to make new ones.  The only reason I'm upgrading from my LFS-6.1
is that the Firefox-2.0.0.16 browser is missing too many functions new
webpages are using.  80% of my hardware is salvage--I'm retired and on
Social Security--and the speed deficit isn't critical to me.  This is a
Pentium III 1.4GHz "Tualatin" box.  It's fast enough for daily stuff.  I
use the "Conroe" for big compiles.

It has been my habit to download the stable tarball, faster when it's on
my computer, and I can build "standalone".  But obviously from the
above, your old habit of stable releases gave me something I was more
certain would all work together without problems.  Now I'm trying to
build from svn-101016 r8641 and I have an MTRR error in X-7.5-3 that I
cannot figure out how to fix.  It seems it was a "long standing" error
in libpciaccess, but it's still there with a newer version that was
supposed to fix it.

I don't need to be on the bleeding edge.  I want stable.  I want works
without errors.

> > Certainly.  I do have goals to get to.  But a newbie would, I think,
> > benefit from being told that (s)he needs to build certain
> > dependencies, with PERHAPS some guidance to what a good set would
> > be, before getting to the goal of a functional desktop.
>
> That doesn't make sense to me - dependencies are something you build
> because you need them, not some set of common packages you install
> because something else might need them.

Maybe the reason for that is I have a touch of Asperger's Syndrome.  It
makes me want things very organized.  I have a plan for what I want from
my LFS system.  I plan, then execute, first things first.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm

                          love email again