        .

> Right.  I've recompiled autofs(had to include MIT Kerberos)and the results
> were intially promising.

Oh I hope it's not now kerberos that's interfering in any way: I don't know it
very well in practice; so fingers crossed it'll not be an obstacle here.

> 'automount -v -f -d /etc/auto.master' gave:
>
> Starting automounter version 5.0.7, master map /etc/auto.master
> using kernel protocol version 5.02
> lookup_nss_read_master: reading master file /etc/auto.master
> parse_init: parse(sun): init gathered global options: (null)
> lookup_read_master: lookup(file): read entry /testautomount
> master_do_mount: mounting /testautomount
> automount_path_to_fifo: fifo name /run/autofs.fifo-testautomount
> lookup_nss_read_map: reading map file /etc/auto.testautomount
> parse_init: parse(sun): init gathered global options: (null)
> mounted indirect on /testautomount with timeout 300, freq 75 seconds
> st_ready: st_ready(): state = 0 path /testautomount
>
> Then after approx. 1min

Yep, at the 1-min mark it's hitting the 'NEGATIVE_TIMEOUT' default-value of
60 secs (ref. the 'autofs' file under /etc/sysconfig/...); usually it's just
cos you've not yet (in this case) connected a usbstick. So the subsequent
block of diagnostics, 'st_expire ...' thru 'st_ready ...', that you show
next, looks OK and normal.

> st_expire: state 1 path /testautomount
> expire_proc: exp_proc = 3060792128 path /testautomount
> expire_cleanup: got thid 3060792128 path /testautomount stat 0
> expire_cleanup: sigchld: exp 3060792128 finished, switching from 2 to 1
> st_ready: st_ready(): state = 2 path /testautomount
>
> However, when inserting the usbstick and try and list any contents, it is
> only on
>
> /testautomount, i.e. the dir. sandisk is not available and can not be created:

If it's showing the contents under /testautomount, without you doing any
non-automount stuff, then that is progress.

>  mkdir: cannot create directory '/testautomount/sandisk': Permission
> denied.

Was that an error message from automount, or from you trying mkdir manually
from
a shell prompt?

Are you logged in an running automount and the other commands directly as root
-
no layers of sudo/su ?

What's the output of - redact any info that you see fit to - the following,
while automount is running and the usbstick connected:
$ \ls -laF /testautomount
$

> I only get the following again
> $
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 23 09:38 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 23 09:38 ../

 - sorry, but what command is that the output of? And was automount still
running
at the time the command was issued?

Sanity checks again (if you don't mind):
---
* you're logged in directly as root on each of tty1 and tty2 (no layers of sudo
  or su)?

* you're, as root, running automount in foreground mode (the '-f' in
  'automount -v -f -d /etc/auto.master') on tty1?

* you're issuing the 'ls ...' and other shell commands as root on tty2?

* ps shows automount running as user 'root'?

* you're switching between tty1 and tty2 and back, via alt-f1 resp. alt-f2 (may
  need f-lock key on keyboard activated - often near f12 key)?

* /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts show a 'clean' set of mounts - no multiple entries
  or leftovers from earlier automount runs?
---

rgds,

akh