        .
        .
        .
> > > You may be right about Kerbos, I seem to remember getting round that
> > > originally and not compiling against it.

Might come back to: why 'had to include MIT Kerberos' for that second compile,
yet not for the first one; and for the first compile what did 'getting round'
(ie avoiding) compiling kerberos entail.

> > OK: so at this stage I'd recompile the 'patch-reverted' autofs-5.0.7 - i.e.
> > use
> > the version where you have got that 'LIBTIRPC' block of code commented-out
> > - and
> > follow the same steps as you did originally, but for the './configure ...'
> > cmdline _add_ the '--without-hesiod' option.
>
> I've now recompiled 'patch-reverted' autofs-5.0.7 without MIT Kerberos.
> Sadly this has made no difference.
> When I plug in the usbstick the 'testautomount' dir. is created, but not
> 'sandisk'.

        .
        .
> When the usbstick is plugged, autofs spits the following again:
>
> handle_packet: type = 3
> handle_packet_missing_indirect: token 1, name sandisk, request pid 1997
> attempting to mount entry /testautomount/sandisk
> lookup_mount: lookup(program): looking up sandisk
> lookup(program): lookup for sandisk failed

It's doing 'lookup(program)' there, instead of 'lookup(file)': tracing through
the src indicates that one way that this can happen under certain
circumstances/conditions is if e.g. a map file has execute permission set.
Have you got any execute permissions set on either of the map files? What does
the following show currently:
$ \ls -laF /etc/auto.master /etc/auto.testautomount
$

Can you also post the current complete contents (don't omit any empty or
commented
lines) of the maps - reason is that I was able to 'break' automount in various
ways with mildly-subtle (deliberate-)'oversights' in the map files:
$ cat -A /etc/auto.master /etc/auto.testautomount
$

> dev_ioctl_send_fail: token = 1
> failed to mount /testautomount/sandisk
> st_expire: state 1 path /testautomount
> expire_proc: exp_proc = 3063610176 path /testautomount
> expire_cleanup: got thid 3063610176 path /testautomount stat 0
> expire_cleanup: sigchld: exp 3063610176 finished, switching from 2 to 1
> st_ready: st_ready(): state = 2 path /testautomount
> st_expire: state 1 path /testautomount
> expire_proc: exp_proc = 3063610176 path /testautomount
> expire_cleanup: got thid 3063610176 path /testautomount stat 0
> expire_cleanup: sigchld: exp 3063610176 finished, switching from 2 to 1
> st_ready: st_ready(): state = 2 path /testautomount
>
> > At this stage, I'd say you don't need to uninstall kerberos: but I'd
> > suggest
> > ensuring it is not running; stop it via '/etc/rc.d/init.d/krb5 stop' (or
> > similar)
> > and verify via ps that none of its components are running, and stop them if
> > they
> > are; it may be useful if necessary to refer to the list of programs in the
> > 'Short Descriptions' section at the foot of the page
> > 'http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/mitkrb.html', as a
> > guide/checklist.

If still no-go, then I'd do:
----
    commented out - and compile as in the book, but for the configure stage, do:

    ./configure  --prefix=/  --mandir=/usr/share/man \
          --without-systemd  --without-libtirpc  --without-hesiod  \
          --without-openldap  --without-sasl

   (The sasl, ldap, hesiod, &c stuff can be added back in later once we have
got
   a working autofs from a basic config).
   Then test and see if it goes OK.
   Post the output from 'automount -v -f -d /etc/auto.master' , incl showing
what
   happens when you plug a stick in: just copy'n'paste the full session, please.
--
(2) If still no-go after '(1)', then do the same as '(1)' but with the
    'patch-reverted' src - i.e. with that 'LIBTIRPC' block commented out - and

rgds,
akh