        .

> I will sort it and try to get the summary right.   Could this whole thing
> come down to permissions?

It might: but recall that there were also error messages, at two separate
stages,
that looked like they were (in the first case) kerberos-/hesiod- related, and
(in
the second case) libtirpc- related; and it was only when we by-passed _those_
error-messages, that we could get as far as seeing the permissions-related
error-messages.

With the map permissions held at 0644, one would want to test the re-compile
with/without the hesiod and libtirpc configure options, and with/without the
commenting-out of that block of libtirpc code, per the test-sequence in earlier
note. I think that there _is_ very likely an issue with the libtirpc stuff;
and _maybe_ - though less likely at this stage - with the kerberos-/hesiod-
stuff.

rgds,
akh