        .

> > > Right.  I have now recompiled autofs with './configure --prefix=/
> > > --mandir=/usr/share/man
> > > --without-systemd --without-libtirpc --without-hesiod
> > > --without-openldap --without-sasl', reinstalled, and everything works
> > > fine.
> >

> > Is that the original-source autofs - i.e. with the original 'LIBTIRPC'
> > block of
> > code _NOT_ commented-out?
>
> I'm ashamed to say that it is.  Ashamed?  Because it's appears this WAS a
> permissions problem all along?

Not quite 100% necessarily so: recall that your original compiles were using
the book-default './configure ...': whereas below you're using the five
'--without-...' options.

If you're OK to do it, then the penultimate stage would be to: backup your
current config/map files, then recompile in the same way as your most-recent
compile per your first email of today, but with the sole, single change that
you omit the '--without-libtirpc' on the './configure ...' line: i.e. use the
original-source autofs - i.e. with the original 'LIBTIRPC' block of code
_NOT_ commented-out - and the following config line:
---
$ ./configure --prefix=/ --mandir=/usr/share/man \
        --without-systemd --without-hesiod  \
        --without-openldap --without-sasl
$
---
Run 'automount -vfd /etc/auto.master' like before, and see if it gives errors:
i.e. does omitting the '--without-libtirpc' cause automount to execute that
block of LIBTIRPC code and hit errors.

If you do hit errors then paste 'em here, please. And then reinstate the
'--without-libtirpc' and omit the --without-hesiod, recompile, test, and see
if it hits kerberos/hesiod or any errors, and paste here if so.

You've been commendably patient with this extra testing now that you've got it
working: and a few extra tests would be useful; and apols that am not quite yet
in a position here to test directly (I'll also test it without any
ldap/sasl/kerberos installed, to check if the book's 'Required' status for them
is correct).

> Although, autofs installs its config files default 0644 and it definitely
> wouldn't mount my devices at the beginning.
> >
> > > Usbsticks mount together with CD's.  I can copy and cut from user by
> > > using the 'sync,gid=floppy,umask=002' route.

rgds,
akh