On 10/12/2014 06:44 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> On 10/12/2014 09:15 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> On Oct 12, 2014, at 8:37 AM, Armin K. <kre...@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Use file sharing, you can choose from:
>>>
>>> NFS Shares (nfs-utils needed for client and/or server on a Linux box and
>>> it's possible that MAC OSX may support NFS out of the box).
>>>
>>> SMB/CIFS shares (aka Windows Shares - for server support on Linux, Samba
>>> is the way to go, while for client you may be able to mount a cifs share
>>> without installing any additional components or you have at least to
>>> install cifs-utils package).
>> One thing I’m still getting used to on my new iMac is “helpful” help.
>> I’m adding this just for the record.  “Out of the box” OS.10 supports
>> AFB, NFS, SMB/CIF and ftp.  It’s just a matter of setting up the other
>> machine.
>
> Thanks to all of you who have commented this morning.  Again, I've
> learned a lot in an area that was totally dark before.
>
> First of all, @Christopher.  I double checked and my new iMac has OS X
> 10.9.5.  It will read and mount an ntfs partition.  It, however, will do
> nothing to or for a drive that was formatted on a windows based
> machine.  It's the first "non-friendly" thing I've discovered about my
> iMac.  But with my current attitude, "Who cares, man?"  :)
>
> I must apologize for my newbiness in this area and ask for a large
> amount of help.
>
> I've decided to go with NFS-utils.  My intent is to use this only at
> home (not going to automatically start it at boot).  So it will be just
> my laptop and iMac.  I say this in preface for some following questions.
>
> I'm using the BLFS-7.5 page and have questions.
>
> First of all kernel configuration:  The book says to configure NFS
> server and client support and then "the appropriate sub-options that
> appear when the above options are selected."  I have no clue as to what
> is appropriate.  I've looked at the kernel configuration guides for
> {,B}LFS and remain clueless.
>
> Running grep NFS on the kernel .config I get:
>> CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
>> CONFIG_NFS_V2=m
>> CONFIG_NFS_V3=m
>> CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
>> CONFIG_NFS_V4=m
>> CONFIG_NFS_SWAP=y
>> CONFIG_NFS_V4_1=y
>> CONFIG_NFS_V4_2=y
>> CONFIG_PNFS_FILE_LAYOUT=m
>> CONFIG_PNFS_OBJLAYOUT=m
>> CONFIG_NFS_V4_1_IMPLEMENTATION_ID_DOMAIN="kernel.org"
>> # CONFIG_NFS_V4_1_MIGRATION is not set
>> CONFIG_NFS_V4_SECURITY_LABEL=y
>> CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE=y
>> # CONFIG_NFS_USE_LEGACY_DNS is not set
>> CONFIG_NFS_USE_KERNEL_DNS=y
>> CONFIG_NFS_DEBUG=y
>> CONFIG_NFSD=m
>> CONFIG_NFSD_V2_ACL=y
>> CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
>> CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL=y
>> CONFIG_NFSD_V4=y
>> # CONFIG_NFSD_V4_SECURITY_LABEL is not set
>> # CONFIG_NFSD_FAULT_INJECTION is not set
> [...]

I went for defaults that got selected after I selected the main NFS
Server and NFS Client options, but it doesn't hurt to enable everything
(and build as module) if you are unsure if its needed so it gets probed
when you get everything up and running for the first time. After that,
you can examine lsmod output and go and disable what isn't needed and
possibly select as built-in what you need.

> I intend to compile what I need into the kernel and not use modules.
> With what I have said about my setup and what I intend to do, what do I
> need to set to "y" to run NFS server and client?
>
> The configure options for NFS-utils has the switch: --disable-nfsv4.
> Why is this disabled?

Required dependency for it is not in the book. In "Optional
Dependencies" block you can see libnfsidmap and sqlite have "for NFSv4
support" written next to it, and libnfsidmap is not part of the book (yet).

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.