On Oct 12, 2014, at 7:25, Dan McGhee <beesn...@grm.net> wrote:

> I want to ultimately use all my external and salvaged hard drives on both my
> (soon to be completely) linux laptop and my iMac.  That part is simple.  Back
> up what I don't want to lose and then reformat those drives.

For over a decade, I’ve had windows, OS X, Solaris, and Linux environment and
would use samba for all of it.

However, if you are scrapping windows, there is bonjour you can use with OS X
and linux.  Bonjour (zeroconf) is what you may want if only needing to deal
with a linux OS and Mac OS X.

Now, if you ever need to use windows, you can install a bonjour client for
that, as well.

There’s nothing wrong with using Samba and linux kernel’s CIFS between Mac OS X
and Linux, but if you aren’t going to have a Windows machine involved, no need.
No need to have that and a samba server configured for WINS either.

Keep it simple and use only what you need.  Bonjour (zeroconf), or use some of
what others have stated. I use an iMac, powerbook, multiple windows machines,
and multiple linux machines with samba just fine. You have it quite a bit
simpler, so you may want to investigate what I have mentioned with bonjour.

Sincerely,

William Harrington