On Oct 13, 2014, at 8:17 PM, William Harrington <kb0...@berzerkula.org> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2014, at 7:25, Dan McGhee <beesn...@grm.net> wrote:
>
>> I want to ultimately use all my external and salvaged hard drives on both my
>> (soon to be completely) linux laptop and my iMac.  That part is simple.
>> Back up what I don't want to lose and then reformat those drives.
>
> For over a decade, I’ve had windows, OS X, Solaris, and Linux environment and
> would use samba for all of it.
>
> However, if you are scrapping windows, there is bonjour you can use with OS X
> and linux.  Bonjour (zeroconf) is what you may want if only needing to deal
> with a linux OS and Mac OS X.
>
> Now, if you ever need to use windows, you can install a bonjour client for
> that, as well.
>
> There’s nothing wrong with using Samba and linux kernel’s CIFS between Mac OS
> X and Linux, but if you aren’t going to have a Windows machine involved, no
> need. No need to have that and a samba server configured for WINS either.
>
> Keep it simple and use only what you need.  Bonjour (zeroconf), or use some
> of what others have stated. I use an iMac, powerbook, multiple windows
> machines, and multiple linux machines with samba just fine. You have it quite
> a bit simpler, so you may want to investigate what I have mentioned with
> bonjour.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> William Harrington

Thank you for this, William.  I don’t know why, but what you said didn’t
register in the “grey cells” until just a little while ago.

Yes, I want to keep things very simple and do only what I need to.  Right now,
I’m using LFS-7.5 without an X environment.  My plan originally was to build a
total distro from 7.6.  That may even be delayed because of the UEFI stuff that
I’m doing.

However, it is important to me now to share files between my Mac and laptop. I
the only thing I know about Avahi and bonjour is that they are zeroconf
services.  In looking at the build page of Avahi, it looks like I need an X
environment to have it build and run.  That’s too much to do with my current
plans.  I think I’ll have to settle for only NFS and wait to do the other
things until I build my whole distro.

I just wanted to acknowledge your thoughts.  I’ll hold on to them for the
future however immediate that future is.

Dan