On 31-10-2014 12:58, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:37:47AM +0000, Richard Melville wrote:
>> On 31 October 2014 10:28, Igor Živković <cont...@igor-zivkovic.from.hr>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://github.com/GNU-Pony/netcfg/
>>>
>>> Also you could check out ConnMan as an alternative to that piece of crap
>>> you're contemplating to use. :-)
>>

>> Yes, I too have a profound dislike of NetworkManager.  I don't have a need
>> for such a tool on my *LFS systems at present but, if and when I do, I was
>> planning on trying ConnMan.
>>
>> Richard
>
>  I've already built NM, it's shedload of dependencies, and nm-applet.
> I've even got the applet sitting on xfce's panel, and it says
> "Networking Disabled" when I mouse over it (and most of the fields
> in the connection editor were greyed-out).

ĸen, I believe you need to have Consolekit and Linux PAM.

However, in the days I didn't, ISTR that testing that nm applet was not
loaded (used pgrep -l nm, I think), then as root, I was able to run it
to make what I wanted: sudo nm-applet. Just memories, so can be wrong. I
imagine you start NM on boot? It is needed to be running before nm-applet.

--
[]s,
Fernando