On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 17:34 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> https://github.com/libical/libical/
>
> There are glyphs for Issues, Pull Requests, Pulse, Graphs, Folders
> (F016), Regular files (F011), and a few other things.
>
> In any case, it's definitely a browser version thing on my every day
> system.  On my development system I've got SM 2.29 and it's fine there.

Basically, those byte ranges are reserved for private use - essentially,
for arbitrary symbols that don't map to regular unicode characters...
things like symbol fonts.

That's what's happening here - they're using some CSS tricks to first
insert one of these odd characters immediately before (e.g a F016 for a
folder name), and using a special font which contains the relevant
characters.

Info (if you're interested) at https://octicons.github.com/

If it's not working for you, it's probably the age of your browser... I
think the ability to use font resources from the web is relatively
new... the past year or so.

Simon.