On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 08:44:23AM +0400, John Frankish wrote:
> The reason I was test mounting a share on the server is that I could not
> mount the share from inside a qemu-2.5.1 vm on the same machine - as soon as
> I specified "nfsvers=3" then the vm mount also worked fine.

OK.  I've never built the bridging part of the book's qemu (I
already had a working nfs server where I store my sources and
notes), and I haven't *used* qemu for some months.  But when I last
used it, no special actions seemed to be needed in LFS (i.e.
mounting /sources in nfs v3 without forcing a version just worked.

Unfortunately, almost nobody here uses nfs.  I recall the first time
nfs4 deps bit me, and I think it was some months before somebody
came up a suggestion for how to fix the problem in a better way than
whatever I was doing.  Looking at my notes shows I was using vers=3
in /etc/fstab in 2010 and 2011, when nfs was i nthe 1.2 series.

> I did not compile against any of the blfs optional dependencies only
> libtirpc and I aslo tried with and without the "mount.nfs4" symlink.
>
> John

Sorry I cannot add any useful suggestions.  Looking back at my
notes, when I moved to lfs-7.0 in November 2011 I had a *lot* of
trouble with this, and apparently mounts worked only if, after
booting, I "bounced" (i.e. stopped and started) the nfs server.
At that time, I think I was still building libnfsidmap even though I
only wanted v3.  Looking at my git tree for my buildscripts, I can
see that I finally removed 'tcp,vers=3' from /etc/fstab on desktop
machines in May 2014, with a note that they are negotiated in
current versions, but I have no idea what change caused me to do
that.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the kernel config on the
server.  Mine has

CONFIG_NETWORK_FILESYSTEMS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V2=y