Ken Moffat wrote:
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 09:50:45AM +0400, John Frankish wrote:
I have (4.2.9 kernel):

CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
CONFIG_NFS_SWAP=y
Fun! (swap over nfs).

If you are really into swap (to anywhere), buy more ram. It's now less than $10 per GB. Here is an interesting spreadsheet about historical costs for RAM.

http://www.jcmit.com/memoryprice.htm

In my mind, the only real use for swap is on a laptop where you might want to suspend to disk (aka hibernate). That would require a fairly specific network configuration for network swap so it's use on a laptop is questionable.

  -- Bruce

CONFIG_NFS_V4_1=y
CONFIG_NFS_V4_2=y

CONFIG_NFS_V4_1_IMPLEMENTATION_ID_DOMAIN="kernel.org"

CONFIG_NFSD_V4=y

If you are able to build a newer kernel (4.2 is no longer
maintained) without those options, and also in the vm, I think you
will no longer default to offering 4.2.

ĸen